How does suicide impact those around you?
Suicide and suicide attempts cause emotional, physical, and economic impacts that can have long-term effects on their health and those around them. It can affect the health of friends, loved ones, co-workers, and the community. Family and close friends may experience shock, anger, guilt, symptoms of depression, anxiety, and even thoughts of suicide.
There are red flags to look out for when it comes to suicide.
- Withdrawing socially
- Drop in work/school performance
- Change in hygiene and appearance
- Difficulty sleeping or sleeping too much
- Feeling hopelessness or a burden to others
- Researching possible methods for suicide
- Talk of death or dying or not wanting to be around any longer
Who can be struggling?
Anyone can struggle with suicide but these are the most affected.
- Loss survivors
- Disaster survivors
- Attempt survivors
- Individuals with Neurodivergence
- Maternal postpartum
- Native American and Alaska Natives
How can you help?
Everyone plays a role in suicide prevention here are some ways you can help.
- National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline Call or Text 988
- RTD’s Customer Service (209) 943-1111
- Call 911